What if I was suddenly to find myself cast away on an island without any of today's helpful gadgets? Which things would I miss the most in my new found (albeit modern) Robinson Crusoe like existence?

Obviously, these things would need sorting into essential and luxury wants and needs, so a little bit of thought is needed to decide what I just absolutely couldn't live without. Given that this island would have electricity and that I would have a house of sorts to live in what would I really need?

I guess one of those all-in-one tool thingies such as a Swiss Army Knife or a Leatherman would be handy for cutting things up and fixing things together and suchlike. A good torch, perhaps solar powered or wind up would be handy too.

After that, I would need my personal grooming gadgets. Hairdryer, tweezers, manicure set. Thank goodness I am not an eyelash curler type of gal but some might need those as well as hair straighteners too. After all, a girl needs to look good at ALL times.

On to practical needs and I would have to have some sort of kettle so that I could make my very necessary morning tea and mid morning coffee. No arguments on this one ~ I just could not function otherwise. A cooking device in the shape of some sort of oven in order to eat properly would be an essential too as I am not an 'add hot water to some indescribable dried mix and end up with a ready meal' type of person. Oh no!

What would I do without my handy kitchen gadgets such as my vegetable peeler; cheese grater and wine breather? (Oh alright, I could manage without the last one I suppose)! Most definitely not without a corkscrew and can opener though; one must eat and drink after all and everyone knows now that wine is good for the heart and that even ring pull openers often snap off in mid pull!

Next on to technological needs and a computer � a laptop would be easiest- would be absolutely necessary in order to keep in touch with the rest of the world and with this I would still be able to make Skype calls and instant message and with a webcam I would not be lonely at all. Simples!

Add to this a mobile phone with decent inbuilt camera and "apps" and, in the words of the wonderful Arthur Daley, the world would be my lobster. Ergo, I would be in touch whenever I needed or wanted to be.

For entertainment, an MP3 player would be invaluable and perhaps a portable TV or a DVD player to keep up to date with 'X factor', er… I mean world news. Essential!

Well, I'm sure the list could go on and on but these are the 21st century everyday gadgets that I would miss the most I think. I guess we are all spoiled really with all the advances of today but aren't we lucky?

If you are looking for more than just the essentials, then why not spoil yourself at Prezzybox.com where you will find a huge range of gifts for men and women to choose from.

The article above was a guest post written by Daniel from Prezzybox.

[Image via Flickr]

Related Posts with Thumbnails



Powered by WizardRSS | Best Membership Site Software

Comments (0)